Sunday, May 25, 2014

You Live and You Learn

As we have now integrated feeds into our runs, I have been experimenting with gels, drink mixes, protein bars, etc. to see which ones I like.  So, when Hubey and I schedule our 20 miler for 8:30am this morning I set got up at 7:30 to grab a light breakfast and hydrate.  I had this pre-workout drink mix sample and decided what better time than now to give it a try?  The other option I had were these gels that make me unbearably thirsty.  I followed the directions, poured half the powder into my water glass, and started to drink 35 minutes before we were to depart.  I had accidentally poured too much powder in, so I refilled my glass with water to consume the rest of the powder.  Hubey met me (after already running 10 miles) and we departed on our 12 miler, before our feed, and final 8.

Off we went.  I guess I still haven't perfected this eating before running because I got some cramps as my body was telling me "what are you doing? I am trying to digest here" but I pushed on because I have to get used to it.  Then I felt drunk.  It was in the eyes.  My head was really light and my vision did not move smoothly. I thought, "wow, I haven't been drunk in a while." Four miles in I made Hubey walk.  I need to walk off this drunkness.  The drunk phase passed and we continued on.  I felt good.  Legs felt good and I wasn't drunk anymore so my vision was solid.  Then bam.  Insides cramped.  Hit me like a car hits a deer frozen in its headlights.  I made Hubey walk for two minutes.  Then we continued on.  As we were running we could hear the train blowing its horn in the distance as we were approaching a railroad crossing about 600yds away.  Hubey looked at me and asked "How's your leg speed?" That's when I put two and two together with sound I was hearing together and the railroad crossing ahead.  I immediately yelled "oh no!" while simultaneously taking off in an almost sprint.  Hubey caught up in a split second and we were in a race against the train.  Staring at the railroad crossing arms, we continued in an almost sprint hoping we'd get there before the train.  Sure enough, we ran faster than the train and easily made it across.

Then the cramps came back.  I was hunched over and made Hubey walk for another couple of minutes before realizing there was a dog park ahead, which was bound to have water we could consume.  We ran to the dog park, where there was a huge white jug of water with a hose at the bottom.  Probably not for human consumption, I tried out the water anyway and deemed it consumable for the state we were in.  Once Hubey saw me consume some he came over for a drink before we continued running into town.  I made it another couple of miles, including up the hill on Broadway.  But, at this point I had hit the next stage in my disastrous run and was now unbelievably high.  I was a bit light headed, the chemicals flowing through my veins were making me shaky and I was living on a different planet.  It probably wasn't really this bad, but at the time it felt this bad.  So I stopped.  I sat down in the shade for a couple minutes.  I told Hubey to finish out the run as we were only a couple miles from home, but obviously he didn't.  After a couple minutes, I got up and ran the rest of the way home.  At the very end I felt nauseous, but that was just as I was coming up on the apartment where I chugged two and half glasses of water in five and a half seconds.

All in all, I didn't go back out for the final eight and deemed this run a failure.  And then more closely looked at the pre-workout mix I had consumed... AC(insert lightning bolt here)G3.  High Voltage Pre-Workout drink mix with Creatine Magna Power and Carnosine Synthesizer.  I looked it up online and this is the description for this product: "Fully loaded with a potent blend of actives, ACG3® Charged+ works harmoniously to provide extreme anabolic results, trigger more explosive muscle pumps, increase muscle volume and strength, and provide the endurance necessary to maximize your workout." With one review stating: "It's got a lot of stims in it, so you'll feel it more. More than anyone should actually need."

AKA - this is for sure a product for meatheads who are looking to max out in the weight room with the quickest shortest bursts of anaerobic exercise.  NOT for endurance running.  I had so much fake "energy" in my veins I went through a drunk phase, to a middle of the night dehydration, ending with the horrible hangover that leaves you with the shakes, unable to get out of bed, moments of nausea, and intense intense thirst.  We named this product the devil.

I guess you live and you learn. I did in fact live and I learned that I will never consume that product again.

No comments:

Post a Comment