Saturday, April 19, 2014

Just for a Second

Just for a second I thought I might be a real runner.  Then that thought quickly passed.

This has happened to me on several occasions so far in this 100 miler journey.  Let me share some of these "almost" moments with you:

1.  Have you ever notices "real" runners don't listen to music when they run?  Watch a marathon, the top runners don't listen to music.  Well, I ran twelve miles by myself with no music.  For a moment I thought I might be a real runner.  Then I realized I was thinking about listening to music the whole way....

2.  I was leaving work thinking about how I wanted to get some extra mileage in and run for a second time that day.  Then I parked my car in my garage, walked in the door and sat down on the couch with a book instead...

3.  I wore the correct amount of clothing for a run one day -- didn't over dress and sweat profusely, didn't under dress and have to run with my hands in my spandex.  Then the next two runs outside I overdressed...

4.  I looked forward to running 20 miles on Monday.  I thought, "wow, maybe I'm starting to love running." Then I started running and wanted to stop... I realized my running is still fueled by the fact I'm a meathead...

5.  On my day off, it felt weird that I was not running... like there was a void in my life.  But then I realized I liked the void, rather than feeling incomplete...

6.  I am proud of the mileage I put in each week and want to increase the number.  But I'm still much more worried about how quickly I can run for short distances and getting in speed work during the week...

That's all for now, however I'm sure I'll think of a few more points.  Now to end with one reason why I am turning into a "real runner":

1.  When my peers ask me how far I have to run on a certain day, I genuinely respond, "oh, only 13."  I guess you have to be a quarter "real runner" if 13 miles is easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment